Blogging my trips wherever I go... Current location: Tokyo, JAPAN

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Climbing to the top of Japan

Well, during this 2 week of absence from this blog,申し訳ありません, I've done a couple of things I can't believe myself, one of which is mountain climbing. Although I must say its bad choice to do a 3776m mountain when its my first time mountain climbing, it was generally enjoyable.

I started at around out from Shinjuku station around 4.50pm on a Keio highway bus. It costs 5200yen (S$70) for a return trip ticket to Kawaguchi 5th station on Mount Fuji where I would start my climb. I bought a bento to eat on the bus, and some other high-carbo food to eat on the trip like chocolates which I would not get sick off even if I'm tired and energy-drained.



Along the way up I caught nice pictures of the sunset but, these are the only nice scenery pictures I managed to take.



If you've noticed by now, my plan was to hike up Mount Fuji at night... yes, in the dark, and then reach the peak by 3am to catch a spectacular sunrise. However... Anyway, the rest station at 5th station where you can grab basic necessities for the climb like water and a walking stick. See the snow on the peak? I should've known better...


Sign telling you the way up Mount Fuji.


We were quick coz by 10pm, just 2 hours after we started I was already at the 7th station.


Toilets with 100yen boxes where you donate to them for cleaning the toilets. Although I didn't have a chance to take a photo of the insides, its actually very clean.


Nice little sign along the way reminding you not to throw stones down the slope.


More helpful signs


Nice and cosy rest station. Wish I was inside.


On the 8th station at 12midnight.



As shown on the thermometer, though it was a sweltering 28 degrees in Tokyo, its a shivering 6 degrees up here. List of TOP 10 things I appreciated bringing!
1 - Climbing stick (Bought from shop)
2 - Warm hat (Courtesy of Espen)
3 - Warm windbreaker (Again Espen thanks)
4 - Warm jacket
5 - Gloves
6 - Bottles of water
7 - Head torch
8 - Handphone (Call and chat)
9 - Nintendo DS (Self-entertainment when starting to feel sleepy at rest station)
10 - Good boots (Tough terrain, don't want to bust your sports shoes!)

Couple cuddled up in a sleeping bag, not wanting to spend 7000yen each on 3-hours rest stations


Our final stop before the peak, we were cold and shivering requiring of some shelter from the blizzard outside. We stopped over at this over-priced rest place. They let you stay for 15 mins max for each order, then they start chasing you out. Since we were really early to reach the top for sunrise, we decided to take up his "bargain" to stay for an hour for 1000yen ($13).





Finally at 4am, I reached the peak. Sadly though, what welcomed me was not the spectacular sunrise I was expecting, but thick misty, bone-chilling fog and blistering cold wind. Yes, I picked the wrong day to climb. My friend climbed 2 days later and caught spectacular pictures of sunrise from the peak.


Torii at the peak too?



After deciding that the fog was not going to clear, I headed back down.




Low visibility and chilly winds like this on Mount Fuji are to be expected from Fuji's temperamental weather conditions.



Morning climbers are already setting off to the peak at 6am.




Nice and serene


Exorbitant priced rest stations


Mystical forest?



Finally back to 5th station for my bus ride home, here's a map of Mt Fuji.


Overall, this was an eye-opening experience. I won't say I was prepared enough for the trip. Though, thanks to Espen, I had good quality clothes to keep me relatively warm until the peak... I need to climb again some time, but not anytime soon. Terror of Mt Fuji experience still lives deep in my memories.

Slack.

1 comment:

SEY said...

Shit!!! Poor weather?!!! I'm planning to climb tomorrow night... I hope the weather clears up by tomorrow... or else I'd be pissed for spending all that time and effort!